The DNR is listening. Public final review period is now open.
On November 6, the proposed PolyMet copper-nickel mine project achieved its most significant step so far when state and federal agencies released the Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
What does the Final EIS say?
Basically, the Final EIS explains that PolyMet can mine and process copper, nickel and platinum group metals in a manner that:
- Complies with strict state and federal laws
- Protects human health and the environment
- Creates hundreds of high-paying jobs in northern Minnesota
Some key facts about the Final EIS:
- Culminates 10 years of intensive independent review and analysis
- Shows that the environment will be protected while the project delivers hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars in economic benefit to the region over a sustained period of time
- Confirms that PolyMet has done everything asked of it to ensure the project will create jobs and economic growth in an environmentally responsible way
- Paves the way for permitting and start of construction in late 2016
- Sets an important example for future projects as to how Minnesota can balance natural resources development, environmental protection and job creation
Now is the time to officially comment.
As the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MNDNR) says, “Public participation and input is an important part of the state and federal environmental review processes. Publication of the Final EIS … marks the start of a 30-day review period. The public may use this period to submit comments to the MNDNR on the adequacy of the document. All public comments are recorded and archived, and become part of the permanent public record of the proposed project.”
At this phase of the environmental review process, the MNDNR seeks comments that address the adequacy of the Final EIS.
Show your support for the PolyMet project and complete a letter to the MNDNR today.